Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ah...Paris

I did not post in August, in large part because I took a longer holiday than normal, the better part of which was in Paris. I had never been and although I knew I was going to be blown away, I was still blown away by the sheer amount of awe an inspiration I encountered.

The city, of course, beautiful. The architecture, of course, stunning. The Arts, even in August, during the traditional "vacances," were incredible and beautiful. Here I was standing in the middle of a society that values the Arts as the thing that truly identifies itself - the thing that makes it "tick." Beauty and thought resonated everywhere, in everything. It was transcendent and it reminded me that such a society is possible and desirable and not a mere dream.

I was also so impressed by a society that didn't feel it had to be open for business 24/7. Sundays (or another day/s of the week) are still closing days for many. People are unashamed of closing at closing time, as they are unashamed of taking a proper lunch break and closing up for a well-deserved vacation once a year. I love these qualities and I think they should be encouraged. In the end, I believe that society is richer for taking breaks and exploring life to its fullest. This is what gives us time for Art and makes us richer, fairer, better.

It sounds very romantic and idealistic to say this, but, like most people, I am in love with Paris and being there changed me. I really hope I can hold onto those changes and I really hope they make me better. What better way to kick off the fall season than with hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment